Centrul de Informare si Promovare Turistica Ghimbav

Ghimbav Tourism

Location, Climate, History

Historical and geographical coordinates:

Ghimbav city is located in the center of the country, with the following geographical coordinates: 45 degrees 39 minutes lat. N. 25 degrees 36 minutes long. E.
Ghimbav town is located 7 km west of Brasov on DN1 and railway Brasov - Sibiu. Located at an altitude of 535 m, the city occupies an area of 28.9 square kilometers, where lives a population of about 5100 inhabitants.
The city lacks the woodland except for the willow trees located outside the course of the rivers. The hydrographic network is made up of two rivers, both having a low flow basin and part of the upper Olt:
- Ghimbasel - crosses the town;
- Barsa – delimits the west City area of the city of Codlea.

Ghimbav city’s climate is temperate continental with an average annual temperature of 8 degrees Celsius. Average annual rainfall is 780 mm.
Flora is specific of depressions of temperate continental areas. Basicly. fauna does not differ much from the rest of the country, stating that the hunting fauna is missing.
The location of the city is favorable, being located in the piedmont plain, important for agriculture, near Brasov city, at the crossroads of important communication routes along Ghimbasel, all these factors allowing a harmonious economic development.

History:

Ghimbav village first appears in documents in 1420, when King Sigismund of Luxembourg advises its residents to join the community of Sânpetru, Harman and Bod and contribute to raising the stone reinforcement of Brasov Fortress. The city is devastated by a Turkish invasion in 1422.
In 1469 a great fire destroys numerous buildings. In 1611 Prince Gabriel Bathory set fire on several settlements among whom was Ghimbav.

The Church and the bell tower are built around 1300 as a basilica with three naves which has in the north east a choir aria and a sacristy and in the west a massive tower built in tuff.
In the XVth century around the church has been built a precinct wall made of stone and brick and a moat around it. In the southeast there is a crossing bridge defended by a massive gate tower. The Fortress was burned in 1642 from lightning. In 1666 the city hall moves into the fortress and the church is growing again. In 1940 most of houses inside the churchyard were demolished and the wall around the church fell into ruin.